Friday, March 16, 2012

Journal 17 - Prufrock

1. What is the significance of the poem’s epigraph? How does it relate to Prufrock?

The signifigance of the poem’s epigraph is that the author is not afraid to tell his own story. In Prufrock’s poem, it shows a glimpse of his private thoughts and private confessions of from his mind. Although, this story was not meant to be publicized, for if it was, he would feel shame and disgrace from it.





2. Make a list of questions that Prufrock asks. Do you see a pattern/theme to these questions or are they random?

The list of questions that Prufrock asks:
- Do I dare disturb the universe?
- So how should I presume?
- Then how should I begin to spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
- Is it perfume from a dress that makes me so digress?
- And how should I begin?
- Shall I say, I have gone at dusk through narrow streets and watched the smoke that rises from the pipes o flonely men in shirt-sleeves, leaning out of windows?
- Should I, after tea and cakes and ices, have the strength to force the movement to its crisis?
- Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?

There is a theme to all these questions. The theme is that for question that he asks, it is a form of being self-conscious of himself. He is not bold enough to make even the most trivial decisions by himself.








3. What do you think is Prufrock’s main flaw/problem?

Prukrock’s main flaw, or problem, would be that he lacks decisiveness and self-confidence. Also, he is very concerned with time and other things along that line.






4. Why do you think this is called a love song? In what way is it a love song?

The ironic thing about this being called a love song is that the poem’s about not being able to find love. In some way though, some love songs can be about not finding love, but wanting to.

No comments:

Post a Comment